Friday, June 22, 2007

Chapter 15

Samantha left the Block & Tackle with Will Rivers’ promise that his hired hand would deliver the supplies to her farm later that day. She and John could then load them for their journey tomorrow. She took her time driving home, enjoying the sunshine, the rich greens and browns of the summer, the cool breeze from the ocean. Sergeant had ridden under her seat, dozing, but when they drew near the farm, he got up on the seat next to her and lifted his nose to sniff the air.

At John’s place he thought he was a puppy but nearly always spent the ride home napping. Whenever he neared the farm, he sniffed the air and his whole body would quiver with excitement. He was always glad to be home. Sometimes, Sam wondered if he was excited because he expected to see her father. She thought so because he would jump down and begin sniffing all over the yard, as if trying to figure out where everyone had gone.

The extra night she had spent at John’s had not been restful for her. She had slept poorly, lying awake for hours, thinking about the impending journey and reunion with her aunt. Would Isabel welcome a reunion with her family or would she send them away? She had raised her own family, out there, in the wild cut off from the people she knew, the life she knew. The villages might have been talking about her but she had moved beyond their reach. For Isabel, the villages had become the Outland. And one question burned at Sam. Why?

Sam was used to her gift but she had never considered herself defined by it. It was like her arm, leg, or eyes. How the outside world might view her if they knew had never been entertained. It was beyond imagining to think she would be treated as a freak or a product to be marketed. Now, faced with the possibility of prejudice or manipulation, she was frightened. She knew if this is what Isabel had felt, it was no wonder she ran.

She pulled the buggy up near the house. Sergeant jumped down and began to run and sniff the ground all around the yard. He came to a sudden stop and stared toward the barn. Samantha turned on her seat and looked back. Reece came strolling out of the open barn doors, waving and smiling. Sergeant barked once and made a mad dash toward him. Samantha jumped to her feet and opened her mouth to yell but instead stared open mouthed as man and dog greeted one another like old friends. Reece rubbed the dog roughly and shook his head side to side while Sergeant staggered on his hind legs, trying to get in as many licks as possible.

Finally, the frantic greetings complete, they made their way to the house. Reece reached up to help her down. “Welcome home, Miss Channing.”

Once on the ground, she turned and pulled her small bag from beneath the seat. “Well, I see you and Sergeant missed each other.”

He laughed. “I think he just likes the jerky in my pocket. I keep it when traveling because it can be a long way between food supplies.”

She gave him a sidelong look and replied, “And you like to travel light.”

Again, he laughed. “Yes,” he said.

They walked together to the house, Sergeant between them, licking Reece’s hand each time it came near his head. Samantha let her eyes roam the property. She noted that all the wood in the woodpile had disappeared and the area cleaned. Only the chopping block remained, like a stool in the middle of the yard. The fence along the road was repaired, as well as a section on the other side of the pasture. So, Mr. Lawrence had kept busy for the last couple of days.

“I am sorry I left without telling you, Mr. Lawrence.” She unlocked the front door and opened it. “I had a family emergency.”

“No problem. I guessed as much. That storm was pretty nasty for nearly an hour but I was warm and dry in that storeroom of yours. I thank you for letting me use it. I found a few other sections of fence that were down and since I was sleeping in your barn, I took the liberty of repairing them. I probably should be on my way after today. I hadn’t intended to stay so long but I hesitated leaving the place until you returned. I hope everything is all right now?”

She stood in the doorway and studied his face for several minutes. “Thank you,” she said, “I don’t know if things are all right yet. I hope they will be soon.” She paused again, then added, “My brother is picking me up in the morning. We are going to see my Aunt. I don’t know how long I’ll be gone.”

“I see.” He looked away to the woods. “Is there anything I can do?”

“No but thanks for asking. I. . . she. . . well,” she stammered, not used to lying, “she lives in the Outland and we are going for a visit. We’ve not seen her in . . . a while.”

“She’s banished?” he said, shock registering in his eyes briefly.

“Oh. . .well, no, not really. She moved there of her own volition, years ago. I just want to visit her.” Mentally, Samantha cringed. This was too close to lying for her comfort. She hated having things she couldn’t say.

“Hard to imagine anyone willingly moving to the Outland. Your aunt is an independent spirit. ”

The discomfort escalated then and Sam backed away. “I’m sorry, Mr. Lawrence. We’ll have to talk later. I am tired and I have a ton of things to do before I leave in the morning. I was going to ask if you could stay and take care of the animals until I get back. I hate to ask the neighbors to take care of things for so long. They would but it would be an imposition. But if you are still in need of lodging, you are welcome to stay if you could see to the animals.”

He touched his forehead with his fingers, saluting her. “It would be my pleasure. I can visit my own friends in the village a bit longer.”

She smiled. She didn’t remember his mentioning friends in the village but then, she hadn’t questioned him on his destination either. “Thank you, again. I appreciate it,” she said, moving into the house.

“Miss Channing?”

She looked over her shoulder at him. “Yes?”

“I should qualify that. I’ll be able to stay for three more days but after that, I have to be moving on. I am meeting someone in Bardstown on the North Shore in a week and I’ll have to allow time for the journey.”

“I am sure I’ll be back by then. However, if I am not, don’t worry about it. I’ll stop by my neighbor’s on the way out tomorrow and leave a note for him. He can check in case you can’t get here. Thank you for your all your help.”

“No, thank you. If I pass this way again, may I stop by?”

She nodded and quietly closed the door.

John arrived early the next morning, before sunup and woke her by banging on the door. Exhaustion wrapped her like a shroud. All night she had tossed and turned, her sleep disturbed by elusive dreams of dark woods and strange noises. Twice she’d gotten up and wandered through the house, checking windows and doors. Sergeant simply raised his head, canted it to one side, and looked at her. Then, he’d dropped it back on his paws and closed his eyes. She’d almost swear he snorted.

While she cooked her breakfast, John loaded the supplies that Will Rivers had sent the previous afternoon. He had agreed it was the right gesture. They couldn’t be sure Isabel and her family needed anything but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to lend a hand.

Once the supplies were loaded and she’d finished the dishes, she joined John and Sergeant in the wagon. The sun was just peaking over the horizon as John flicked the reins. She did a final survey of the farm. Everything was locked up. There was no movement at the barn but somehow, she was certain that Reece Lawrence was watching. She stared at the window where she knew he was standing but nothing moved.

Something wasn’t right about Reece Lawrence but she couldn’t put a name to it. During one of her nightmares the night before, she’d seen something. It wasn’t like her visions of someone coming through the mist. This had been nebulous and foreboding, and one she wasn’t ready to examine now. She couldn’t escape the fact that Reece Lawrence had appeared only a day before Mrs. Parker was killed. She looked at John and wondered how she was going to tell him and why she hadn’t already.

No comments: