Monday, July 2, 2012

Chapter 50


It was nearly noon when Sam reached the plateau and she felt the tension in her shoulders drain away as she left the green heaviness of the forest. The ocean lay to her right and she could taste a hint of salt on the breeze. As she headed north, she tried to think of a plausible explanation to give Aunt Isabel for her unannounced arrival.


"Probably should have thought about that before I left." She said to Sergeant. She glanced down at him. He walked along at a steady pace, beside her. She pulled on the reins and stopped. Sergeant stopped and stared up at her. She slapped the back of her horse, just behind the saddle. In a single bound, he landed in the spot. After a moment adjusting to the position, he sat still. Sam gave a gentle tap of her heels and the horse moved forward. 


No horses raced to the fence this time to greet them. No one came out the front door and down the walk. She dismounted and tied her horse to a sapling near the road. Sergeant followed her up the walk. Once on the porch she turned to look out across the meadow toward a calm sea. The sun was lowering in the west and so the land shadows were long on the water.


"Samantha?"


She turned to find Ian staring through the screen at her. She felt a smile move across her face and hoped it reached her eyes. Now that she was here, she didn't know what to do next.


He opened the door and held it for her, motioning her to enter. The dark hallway was several degrees cooler than the outside and a gentle breeze drifted around her, tugging at her skirt and hair as if to pull her back onto the porch. A sudden inclination to follow that tug assailed her but she pushed it back. 


"What are you doing here? Does Mother know you were coming?"


Not good. "Um, well... no... not really."


He smiled. "Don't sound so frightened. We'll all be glad to see you." He moved into the front parlor and gestured to a chair. "Sit down. Would you like something to drink? I bet you haven't eaten. You must be famished."


She laughed. "Ian! Really, I'm fine. Food does sound good but I'd really like a glass of water, please."


"Be back in a moment."


She got up as soon as he left and stepped to the door and listened. There wasn't a sound in the house until she heard Ian's steps returning. She hurried back to her seat.


He smiled down at her as he handed her the glass and sat in the chair opposite.


The glass was cool against her palm and the water soothed her dry throat. She drank all of it and placed the empty glass on the table beside her chair. "Where is everyone?"


"Father is away for a few days. Something to do with the militia. Mother went riding and Alanna, I have no idea. She doesn't consult us these days."


"Is something wrong?" She tried to sound more concerned than nosy. It was hard. Alanna was not someone she worried about in the general sense of the word.


"My sister, as you very well know, doesn't generate warmth from her family. I'm sure something is wrong. I just don't know what."


Sam looked at the tips of her shoes. There was a scuff on the left one. "She is. . .difficult to understand."


His laughter drew her gaze from the abused shoe. 


"She is that but don't feel sorry for her. She brings it on herself." There was a heavy pause during which he frowned and stared at the pattern he traced on the arm of his chairt. "I .... she's up to something."


Sam stayed very still. He wasn't really talking to her and she wanted him to continue. 


"She goes out late quite often. And I've found her twice in the circle. Both times at night."


"You followed her?" She was surprised.The act seemed out of character for him.


Ian blinked and looked at her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." He hesitated, then continued. "Yes. I can hear her going down the stairs in the middle of the night. I finally decided to follow her." He leaned forward, putting his elbows on his knees and studying her face intently. "Sam, when I found her the first time, she was in the circle and unconscious. I had a terrible time waking her. She remembered nothing."


Samantha considered this with skepticism. She remembered virtually everything and she was pretty certain Alanna did, too. 


"Did you tell anyone?"


"I told Mother."


Sam raised her brows.


He waved to her. "She wouldn't say anything. In fact, she was rather annoyed that I had followed Alanna."


She gave herself a few moments to digest this information. Of course, it could mean nothing. Her aunt could have felt that Ian was being nosy. She could have been annoyed Ian had not let her know immediately. It didn't necessarily mean that she was annoyed that Ian knew about Alanna going to the circle.


"Does she go there often?" Sam again studied the toes of her shoes and frowned. There was another scuff on the right that matched the left. What was she doing to keep scuffing the toes. 


"To the circle?" He thought for a moment. "I don't really know. We've always gone there, all of us. It has always been a popular place to have a picnic. We used to carry croquet equipment and play there when we were growing up. I've spent long summer afternoons there with friends." He smiled. "I've spent a few evenings walking there with a girl or two."


She smiled but said nothing.


"You have to understand, Samantha. We don't have all the social outlets you have in the provinces. This is the Outland. Our resources are limited by time, distance, and economics. Most of us farm or raise livestock of one kind or another. We have plenty of undeveloped land for it. A place like the circle will be popular with locals as a social setting."


"I understand. But your mother indicated that not many people like the circle."


He looked surprised. "Really?"


"I understood it was taboo to most of the locals. Your mother liked going there because of that."


"Hmmm," Ian paused, frowning. "Well. . .I'm sure she would know then."


"I have one question, Ian. You're mother explained this to me but I'd link another view, too."


"Of course."


"What is the circle?"


































No comments: