The morning sun slanted into the room and warmed the foot of the bed. Sam opened her eyes and stretched. A rooster crowed in the distance. Samantha tossed back the bedding and sat up. She had a half day's journey left to her and lying here wasn't going to get her any closer to her destination. A knock at the door caused her to pause as she reached for her clothes. "Come in."
Lucy entered with a pitcher held tightly in both hands. "Hot water, Miss. Thought you'd like a nice wash up before getting started."
"Oh yes. That'd be lovely." She took it and smiled at the girl.
"Breakfast will be ready in about half an hour, Miss."
“Thank you. I didn't expect this kind of service.”
The girl smiled and blushed. “My dad said you was to have the best of everything.”
Sam looked up. “Your dad?”
“Yes, Miss. Nate Ridgeway is my dad. I'm Janie Ridgeway.” She gave a small curtsey and giggled.
“Tell your father I'm grateful.”
“Yes miss.” She closed the door quietly behind her.
Sam poured the water in the wash basin and dropped a clean wash cloth into it. Twenty minutes later, she was dressed and her hair bound in a braided bun. One last look around the room and she gathered her bag and left.
Descending the stairs she could hear laughter and talking coming from the common room. At the foot of the stairs she hesitated. In the past, her father or John took care of most business transactions. It was an uncomfortable shock when she realized the job was her's now.
Lucy was setting a table for her as she entered the bar. Mr. Ridgeway stood behind the bar putting glasses on the shelf behind it. He glanced at her in the mirror. "Mornin' Miss. I trust you had a restful night."
"Very much. Thank you for your kindness." To Lucy she said, "This looks wonderful and I'm starving."
"You call, Miss, if you need anything. I'll be in the kitchen."
Father and daughter left her then, to eat alone. Sam wished one of them had stayed to chat with her. The journey ahead weighed on her mind and she craved a distraction. Well, you don't have it. Now eat and get moving.
In a soft voice she answered. "Quite right."
Mr. Ridgeway appeared at her table just as she set her fork down. “I trust your breakfast was satisfactory?”
“Yes sir, and thank you, How much do I owe you?” She started to dig in her handbag.
He held up his hand, shaking his head and said, “Now we'll not be hearing that. That room hasn't been used in ages and I'd feel I was cheating you. No, there will be no charge for you.”
“But Mr. Ridgeway, you're running a business. You can't possible have so many paying guest that you can afford let me stay for nothing.”
“What you and your brother have saved us by catching one of the bandits what's robbing us blind more than compensates me, Miss. Besides, I'd be tarred if word gets out I charged you. I'm not the only one that's grateful.”
Sam sighed and dropped her arms to her sides. “He was only one bandit, Mr. Ridgeway. I'm sure there are others to take his place.”
He remained silent.
“I have to go now. I left my horse at the rail last night. I should have seen to him but....”
He grinned and motioned her to follow him as he moved to the door. “We stabled him last night and he's been fed and brushed and is waiting for orders.”
She reached out and shook Mr. Ridgeway's hand. “Thank you for your kindness. I'll probably be passing by in about four days on my way home. I will probably need a place to stay. But I'm paying this time.”
He nodded. “We look forward to seeing you.”
A bell tolled eight o'clock as she left the Inn. Sergeant fell into step beside her and they moved out onto the east road. This way closer than the road between her province and the Inn, with the forest crowding the verge. As on her last trip through, she felt closed in. When she reached the stream where they had met the two strangers, she stopped to water the horse and dog while she drank from her freshly filled canteen. The Ridgeways had insured she had fresh water and an ample lunch in her saddlebag.
A knot settled in Samantha's stomach as she looked ahead. This was the shortest leg of her trip but her least favorite. The next two hours she'd travel the heavily wooded road where she and John and met the two strange men who had seemed to know them and where they had been headed. They'd crept up on them despite having Sergeant along with them. Scanning the road and the forest that boarded it Sam spoke aloud."Well, m'lady, what will you do once you arrive? What will you say to your aunt?"
No comments:
Post a Comment