She packed only the minimum of clothes. She hoped to be back in four days but if she wasn't, she might have to find a clean creek to wash her clothes in. She would be traveling by horseback and could not afford to carry much. She'd need something to make a shelter with in case it rained. Fortunately, she possessed a small tent that her father had used on hunting trips. There were times, when she was small, that he'd go on hunting trips with her uncles for several days. They would always come back with a wagon load of meat for the smoke house. Since she had five uncles the process was carried out efficiently. Each day, two of them returned to the farm to get the result of the day's hunt into the smoke house. They returned each morning to the site. They rotated who came in and who hunted so that everyone got a chance to hunt. It worked so well, that five families never went without meat.
Once she had locked the house and mounted her horse she just sat and stared around her. This farm was her life and she could not envision ever leaving it. There was no place she could go that she thought she would be happier. There was a time she thought perhaps that she would marry and move with her husband to whatever home he made for them. Now. . . life had taken on a different meaning and she realized that her past, her history was as entwined in this plot of earth as the roots of the trees and grass and crops. She was a part of it and to leave it would be the same as tearing out the oak that sheltered the end of the house.
Tugging the reins, she moved off in the direction of the Outland road. She whistled and Sergeant fell into a lope beside her. Until she reached the band of trees that began the divide her land from the Outland, she would be exposed to view and she urged her mount to a gentle trot. She didn't want to tire the dog but she also didn't like being out in the open. Just as the sun sank below the horizon she entered the woods, the green darkened immediately to a gray tunnel. It would be pitch dark in a matter of an hour at the longest. She didn't relish the thought of riding this route in the dark but there was no help for it. And if the truth were told, it might actually be safer for her.
When the final glimmer faded it was darker than even she imagined. Sergeant had no need of light and it would seem her horse did not either. They seemed to know exactly where they were headed and stayed on the road. She did slow her horse to a walk. No sense in either of them breaking a . She wondered when she reached the boarder if the sentry would allow her to pass. She had no letters or anything to declare why she was leaving the Province. She remembered that John had had some sort of pass he'd shown them. And if she did get through, she didn't know if she could get back.
It was before her then, the high wall with it's barred gate and guards. Tonight there seemed to be only one man on duty. A small fire burned beside the road, casting an orange glow against the fence and casting dancing shadows. He stood leaning against the fence next to the gate. She knew the moment he heard her approach. He came to attention and moved to stand in the center of the road.
“Who goes there?”
“Samantha Channing,” she said.
“Miss Channing?”
She laughed in relief. She knew that voice. “Caleb Donal? Well, how'd you get this duty?”
“Cursed, that's what I am, Miss Channing, cursed by my own mouth.” Puzzlement evident in his voice, he said, “What in the world are you doing out here this time of night?”
“I've got to get to my aunt's house in the Outland. I meant to leave before it got so late but I had so much to do. I figured I could at least get to the village and spend the night there.”
“Miss, it is dangerous on the road at night!
“I have to go, Caleb. I've got Sergeant with me. I'm not stopping so I'll be fine.”
“Miss, do ya have papers?”
No way to hide it. “No.” She leaned toward him. “Caleb, you know me, my whole family. You know my aunt lives in the Outland. It is urgent that I go tonight. Please, can you let me pass without it?”
A long hesitation. He looked over his shoulder as if he were going to consult someone but since he was the only one on duty it was pointless. “Well, I guess. . . maybe. . . when you coming back?”
It was impossible to know since she had no idea what was going to happen once she got there. “When will you be on duty again?”
“Two nights from now and the three nights following.”
“My plan is to be back in four nights.”
“Miss Channing, you got to be careful. This road is known for thieves and such. Don't call attention to yourself if you can help it. And hurry. There's a village along the way. You take shelter there soon's you arrive.” He pulled the gate open and stepped back. “Keep to the center of the road, Miss.”
Urging her mount forward, she called as she passed, “I will. And Caleb, if my brother asks, tell him where I've gone.”
The darkness swallowed her up as the gate closed, blotting out the glow of the fire. She pulled up briefly, listening to the crickets and cicadas and night birds. The darkness here was palpable, tugging at her sleeve, her hair. She urged the horse to a trot, whistling for Sergeant to stay close. The last time they came this way it had taken nearly half a day to reach the village in the wagon. In this darkness time meant nothing and it was impossible to know how long she'd been riding. She just rode, stopping only briefly to let the horse and dog rest and to stretch her own legs. The stars were not visible beneath the canopy that sheltered the roadway.
Without any warning a light flared ahead and she flinched. Her horse started but she soothed him and patted his neck. A low rumble issued from Sergeant's chest. As she approached ,the trees thinned and the road opened, revealing the village square. Few light were burning because it was late but the tavern where they'd had lunch seemed to still be open.
Hitching her horse to the rail in front of it, she hurried up the steps, snapping her fingers for Sergeant. The dog fell into step by her side. The dinning room was empty but a lantern was set on at each end of the bar.
“Hello?” Moving into the room she waited. “Could I get a room tonight?”
The door behind the bar opened and a dark-haired woman peeked around the frame. “Who're you? What you be wantin' this time of night?”
She smiled and moved up to the bar, leaning forward. “Samantha Channing. My brother and I were here not long ago. I'm traveling to my aunt's but I really need to find a place to stay the night.”
She stepped out, wiping her hands on a dishtowel but halting when she saw the dog beside Sam. “I'm Lucy. My brother's the innkeeper. We only got a small room in the attic. It ain't much and probably smells musty. No one ever wants to let it.”
“I'll take it.” She grabbed her bag and waited.
“Give me a second while I get the key.”
Moments later Samantha followed the woman up the narrow flight of stairs at the top of the house. Sargent pressed against Sam's thigh. She patted his head to reassure him.
It was a small room and as musty as her claim. A small window at each gable allowed moonlight to enter revealing a narrow but comfortable looking bed. Lucy opened the windows and a breeze blew through the room, freshening the air and then she pulled back the covers revealing sheets that shone in the moonlight.
“I'll bring you a pitcher with fresh water and a clean towel in the morning. Would you like anything to eat?”
Sam shook her head. “I don't want to trouble you. It's late. I think I'll just go to bed. But thank you.”
Waving aside the thanks, Lucy quietly closed the door behind her. Sam undressed and slipped into bed. In the morning she'd finish her trip. For a moment she wondered what Aunt Isabel would think. How much did she know? Somewhere a dog barked and Sargent growled softly for a moment fell silent. She'd find out tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment