John’s farm was as neat as a pin. Everything was either trimmed, raked, fenced or whitewashed. She saw the children playing in the yard with some of the pups and John had just exited one of the kennels. He had been her father’s right hand in the training of the dogs. Samantha had always believed that her father had even a stronger link with the dogs but he always gave that credit to John. Her father once said that John had an amazing affinity with animals and the dogs would obey him when they would not obey anyone else. Sergeant always became excited when John was near. Today he was struggling to remain seated. She could feel his tail wagging fiercely and his feet danced a bit on the seat but he never moved from his spot.
John saw her and waved. Sergeant barked and the children stopped to watch the carriage approach. Then, they began jumping up and down and squealing with delight. She smiled and waved as she pulled into the side yard. As soon as the carriage stopped Sergeant sailed to the ground and ran straight to John, who greeted him as if he were a long lost family member. When she stepped down she was assailed by five small children ranging in age from three to ten. Colin was the oldest, next was Mari, then Tyler, Dylan and Lily. Lily a porcelain doll. She was small and had a head full of blond curls and round blue eyes. She was a quiet child who smiled shyly when the others were laughing loudly. She adored her Aunt Samantha but she always stood a little back from the group and waited her turn.
“O.k. you scamps, everyone on the steps. I brought you a surprise. Lily, my darling, come give me my special hug.” She stooped with her arms held wide and smiled at Lily.
The little girl grinned and flung herself in to Samantha’s arms. She planted a wet kiss on her cheek and said, “I knew you was coming, Aunt Sam.”
Samantha blinked and caught her breath. She pulled back to look in Lily’s face. “You did? How did you know?”
“I just knowed. I saw you when I was asleep. I saw you coming in the carriage with Sergeant.” She grinned. “You bought candy at the store.”
Samantha gave a laugh and set Lily on the ground. “On the steps. I’ll bring the candy when everyone is seated.” It wasn’t a stretch that the child knew about the candy. She often brought candy when she came. John was always at her about bringing the children treats every time, saying it would spoil them. She had argued that children were meant to be spoiled since they weren’t good for much else.
“What brings you across the crick, Sis?” John gave her a hug. “You get lonely for company?”
“Sure. I always crave the company of five children and twenty-five dogs and a tyrant brother.”
“Oh please, I only have twenty dogs at the moment.” He pulled her arm through his and they walked to the porch together. “I see you have your troops ready, Captain Sam.”
She put her hands on her hips and with an intent expression she studied the children seated on the edge of the porch. “Yes, sir, and a fine bunch they are, sir. I tell you sir, I believe the troops deserve a reward for their superior ability to follow orders.”
Giggles rippled down the row. Mari covered her mouth to stifle her laughter while Colin howled and nearly fell back. He loved pretend games. Samantha smiled at them and pulled out her bag. “I happen to have received this award from high command, sir. With your permission, I’d like to present it to the troops.”
John shook his head at his sister and sighed. “Permission granted but please, Captain, in the future, try and award something more nutritious.”
She saluted solemnly and turned to the children. They jumped up and came to attention and she went down the line and presented each child with a piece of candy. As she did each one saluted and thanked her. When the last child had done, they all dashed off to the back of the house to enjoy their treat.
“You know, Sam, just because Dad played that military game with them doesn’t mean you have to continue it.” John held the front door open for her.
“I know but they so enjoy it. And so do I. Remember when he played it with us, John? We loved it.”
“I remember.” He closed the door behind them and called out, “Lil, Samantha is here. We’ll be in the study.”
A voice drifted down from somewhere upstairs. Samantha couldn’t make out the words but John nodded as if he did and then led the way to his study. It was a small room off the main hall. He used it as his office for the kennel and a place to get away when the chaos of the house became a bit much. They sat down in a pair of overstuffed chairs near the windows.
“Now, what’s happened?” John was not one to waste time or words. And he knew her well enough to know she wouldn’t come uninvited on a Saturday unless something was wrong. Saturday was a busy day for both of them. She usually came home with them on Sunday’s for lunch.
She leaned toward and spoke softly. “Something isn’t right. Two nights ago, someone came through the mist.”
“You must be wrong. No one came through on our side of the island and we’ve had no reports of any of the other districts receiving new comers.”
“John, I’m telling you someone came through.”
Never for as long as either of them could remember had she been wrong. Their father had taken John into his confidence when Samantha had been ten years old. He had felt that he needed someone else to be aware in the event that something happened to him. John, the eldest, had been a logical choice. Samantha knew there had been another reason but she didn’t know for sure what it was and had never asked. She simply trusted her father and John.
“O.k. but where?” he asked.
She closed her eyes and opened herself to the memory. Her insides felt like mush and her hands began to shake. She could see the sand and could hear the water washing up onto the beach. There was the sound of water lapping against the sides of the vessel. The mist was warm and wet on her skin. She really hated this so-called gift. It was a burden she should not have to bear. To describe what she knew was impossible and even if she could, she could not tell anyone. Except for John and he didn’t really understand.
She shook her head and opened her eyes. “They came ashore here, near the white beach.”
For several minutes he said nothing, just sat and looked out the window, a frown creasing the skin between his eyes. A knock sounded and the study door opened. Lily, John’s wife, sailed in with a tray containing a pot and two cups and a plate of cookies. She sat it on the table between them and then leaned down to kiss Samantha on the forehead.
“How are you, love? Good to see you. When you two are done with your chat, come to the kitchen and have another with me. I got news to share.”
Samantha smiled at Lil’ and nodded. The door closed softly behind her as she left.
“All right, then. Someone came in and there has been no indication that anyone knows a thing about it.”
“And last night someone was out at my place messing around.”
At that John sat up in his chair. “Are you sure?”
“Sergeant scented them and I heard them. They were messing around the woodpile but I don’t know if they tried to get in the house. They did make a circuit of the place because I saw their shadow. And this morning Mrs. Parker told me several farms had been robbed in the night. Items like eggs, clothing, cookware, and blankets.” She shrugged. “Maybe they have need of cut firewood.”
“Samantha, you and I are probably the only people on the Island who know about your ability. There is no one I can go to with this. They’d never believe me.”
“John,” she paused and blew out a deep breath, “are you sure there are not others with this ability?”
He didn’t respond immediately. Finally, he said, “I’ve heard stories but I don’t know if they are true.”
“What stories?” She recalled the short bits she had overheard as a child about a woman somewhere on the island that could predict someone coming.
“There were others, at least, one that was known but not in this district. It was a woman. I don’t know if there were others but speculation was that if there was one there must be others. But like you, they don’t expose themselves.”
“What was her name?”
He didn’t answer at all this time, but instead he poured them both a cup of coffee. He handed her the porcelain cup he’d bought from a cargo sold by the Port Authority. It was white with a red roses and gold trim around the edge. Not one cup was broken in the set, even with five children in the house.
“John, I think I need to know this. Who is she? Is she still alive?”
“Yes, she is. She is about mother’s age, actually. Her name is. . .”
The door to the study flew open and Colin rushed in yelling, “Dad, come quick, Lily fell out of the tree and I think she’s hurt.” Every thought evaporated from her mind as she ran to follow John, who was already out the back door.
No comments:
Post a Comment