Two hours later, after she had regained some composure, she and Sergeant went into town. She found that the Parker’s store was still closed. For a moment, she didn’t have any idea what she was going to do with the eggs and milk in her wagon. Then, she remembered there was another store near the docks. Most of the people who frequented it were newcomers who picked up their supplies and the bill was sent to the Council.
As she drove along the main street she noticed that life had not seemed to change much since she had been away. Mrs. Parker’s death was like the turning of a page in a book that everyone was eager to complete. It had happened and they were sorry, but now it was time to buy feed for the stock.
The store she sought was smaller than the Parker’s store but appeared as busy. The walkway was crowded with people going about their shopping. The sign over the walkway read “Island Mercantile” and a picture of a basket loaded with items. In one corner, written in an elegant script were the words Miss Gladiola Innis, prop. Several people going in and out of the store she recognized as customers of Sea Side Supplies and it caused a momentary pang. She hoped that they would return if Mr. Parker opened the store again.
Samantha drove to the back of the building and walked around the building to enter through the front door. Nimbly making her way to the counter, she waited for one of the clerks. There were three people waiting on customers, a man, an older woman and an elderly woman. After standing for several minutes, this senior woman turned and smiled at Samantha.
“Good morning, Missy. Is there something I can do for you?”
“I wish to speak to the owner, if possible,” she answered.
The woman poked a thin pointed finger into her own chest. “That’d be me. What can I do for you?”
It wouldn’t have been surprising for her finger to penetrate the thin frame. Samantha couldn’t recall seeing anyone as thin and gaunt and old as this woman appeared. Stoop shouldered and wrinkled as an old apple she still managed to present an aura of authority. Her pride at being owner of this small shop virtually vibrated from her. She wore a white butcher apron and a pair of thick of wire glasses.
Sam smiled broadly and held out her hand. “I’m glad to meet you, Miss Innis. I’m Samantha Channing. I was wondering if you would be interested in buying my eggs and milk today. They are all fresh.”
Miss Innis looked over the top of her glasses and speared Sam with icy blue eyes. “I might. I take it you’re the young lady that supplied the Parkers?”
Her broad smile faded a bit as she nodded.
The old woman nodded, her mouth stretching in a thin line. “Thought so. You worked for them too, didn’t you?”
“Yes m’am.” She wondered if there was something else she should say but couldn’t think of what it could be. There was tightness in her chest that threatened to push out a sob but she swallowed and straightened her shoulders.
Again, she nodded and shot a look over her glasses. “I can use the fresh eggs and milk today. As you can see, I am reaping the dubious benefits of the Parker’s misfortune. I find it embarrassing but unfortunately difficult not to be excited by the increase to my pocketbook. Follow me. You can unload in the back.”
Samantha followed through a door behind the counter and into the storeroom and office. A door opened into the alley where Sam had parked the wagon. She set about unloading. In a few moments, the man who had been helping in the store came out and helped with her. As soon as the load was done, Samantha went back into the office. Miss Innis stood at her desk with a small metal box.
“I don’t know what the Mr. Parker paid you and I don’t want to know. I’ll pay you what my market will bare. At the moment, that’s pretty high.” She held out and envelope.
Sam opened it and counted the currency. It was nearly double what the Parker’s paid. She looked up, shocked. “This is too much! You must take some back!”
Shaking her head and waving it away she answered, “You worked for the Parker’s in addition to supplying them with milk and eggs. I can’t offer you a job. But I can pay you the real value of the items.”
Her vision blurred as she stuffed the envelope in the pocket of her dress. She hadn’t considered it from that point but this woman was dealing fairly with her. “Thank you, Miss Innis. If you want more, just let me know. I’ll bring it by early so it is fresh.”
Miss Innis reached out and patted Samantha’s shoulder. “I realized after you began unloading the wagon who you were. I know you’ve been living on your own since your parents died and I find it commendable. You’ve managed to do well. There is much talk about your needlework. If you’d like to supply some pieces, I’d be happy to display them for sale for you. . .” she added a grin, “for a percentage, of course.”
Again, Samantha was near tears but she laughed. “Of course! I’d expect nothing less. A smart business woman must look out for herself.”
Both women laughed and Miss Innis said, “Good. I’ll look forward to seeing some of your work.”
Samantha took her leave with a much lighter heart than when she had entered. She had fared far better than she had expected to fare. Today, she felt as if God had smiled on her. If things continued to improve on these lines, she wouldn’t need to take another job. She could use her sewing and the milk and eggs to provide for herself.
As she drove back along Front Street, she wondered if there had been any further progress in finding who had killed Beatrice Parker. Rider and John didn’t appear to think they’d ever be discovered. But in the last week, she had begun to think that, perhaps, there was a chance.
She stopped at the small bakery near the church, where she bought cookies before heading out of town. Her next stop would be John’s. She wanted to see how Lily was getting along with the arm and visit with Lillian.
As she pulled up in front of the house, she expected the children to come racing from all over to see her but instead, only the dogs ran out from beneath the porch. Sergeant jumped down as soon as the wagon came to a stop and so she was left alone to climb down. For several minutes there was no response to her knock at the door and she had nearly decided that no one was at home when Lillian opened the door.
“Samantha! What a nice surprise!” She held the door for Sam to pass, adding with a laugh, “I almost didn’t answer it. We’re all having lunch and I don’t usually answer the door during meals but Lily said it was important that I answer it. I guess she was right. Come on back”
She followed Lillian to the kitchen and a cheer went around the table. “AUNT SAM!”
Lily got up and ran to her, clutching her around the legs and whispered as Sam leaned down to hug her, “I knowed you would come.”
“Knew, Lily, knew!” She said and laughed.
Blond curls bobbed wildly as she nodded, “Yes, I did!”
Everyone joined in the laughter and she sat down, between Colin and Lily. Lillian handed her a plate and she helped herself.
“I didn’t realize it was already lunch time. I went to town and sold the milk and eggs and I lost track of time.”
John stopped and stared at her, “Where’d you do that?”
“Island Mercantile. Miss Innis gave me a more than fair price. Actually, she paid me more than Mrs. Parker ever paid. I was surprised and told her that was too much but she said since Sea Side Supplies was closed she had been doing a booming business and felt she could afford to be generous.”
“I know Miss Innis,” Lillian replied. “She’s been doing business there as long as I can remember. Has her nephew and his wife working with her. They aren’t as friendly as Mrs. Parker was but I always heard she was a lovely Christian woman who dealt fair with everyone.”
“Mmmm,” Sam agreed, “I believe that. She was very up front with me but still very kind. As long as she’ll buy, I’ll sell.”
“What about Mr. Parker?” Colin piped in. “He’s a nice man, too, isn’t he Aunt Sam?”
“Yes, Colin. The Parker’s have always been very kind to me but I can’t be sure he will open the store after this is all over. And I can’t wait to sell eggs and milk until he decides.”
“Have you talked to him?” John asked.
“I haven’t seen him.” She frowned and sat her cup down. “I didn’t want to bother him during this time. I suppose he will tell me if he wants me back. Miss Innis also offered to sell some of my needlework, if I gave her a commission. That would be another source of income.”
“Why can’t your open the Sea Side, Aunt Sam? You know how to do everything,” Mari said.
The adults laughed and John said, “She can’t just go and take over Mr. Parker’s store, Mari.”
They chatted through the rest of the meal and as the children cleared the table, Samantha brought in the cookies and Lillian poured them all a glass of milk. She headed for the back porch, calling over her shoulder, “Everyone find a seat on the porch. Milk and cookies will be served there.”
Samantha nodded to John. “Can we talk in the study?”
He followed her and once the door was closed, joined her in the same seat he had occupied when Lily had broken her arm. Sam shook off the discomfort of the memory.
“Can you take me to White Beach, John?”
For a moment he just stared at her incredulous. “Why on earth would you want to go there?”
Why did she? She’d asked the same question during the night as she tried to sleep. The dream she’d had of the men in a boat had been on a beach that she had instinctively known was White Beach. She had seen them row out and into the mist. And someone else had watched from the shore, someone she had not seen but whom she had felt hiding in darkness.
A suspicion had begun to tug at her brain. Had the darkness been a cave in the cliff side? Or had it simply been something contrived by her mind to shield the person standing on the beach with her. The dreams were sometimes hard to follow but one thing she had noted since her trip to the rings. They were clearer and more detailed that they had ever been. Whatever the rings were or had been used for in the past, they appeared to have an ability to realign and refocus her abilities. Something had changed. She wasn’t sure if it was for the better but for the first time in her life she realized she was no longer afraid of it.
“Sam?” John said. “Why do you need to go to White Beach?”
She released a deep sigh and said, “Because I have to see if something is there.”
“What?”
“I’d rather not say, John. This is something I have to confirm.”
“You’ve seen something else.” It was a statement rather than a question and he wasn’t happy with it.
“Not anything new, exactly. I’ve just noticed more.”
“What if you find what you are looking for?”
For several minutes she didn’t answer. She wasn’t sure if she knew the answer. “Then I will know what I need to do next.”
John stared. Her answer made no sense to him. But Sam realized that for the very first time, it did to her.
No comments:
Post a Comment