Streams of sunlight poured through the window, filling the room with shafts of golden light that stabbed at Samantha’s eyelids. She tugged the sheet up over her face and rolled over to stay the assault but a cold, wet, black nose butted her own. She groaned.
“I don’t want to get up! I’m tired. I’ve had a long week. Let me rest.”
He answered with a long wet lap at her face.
“UGH! Enough. I’ll get up already.”
She found her slippers with her feet and tugged on her robe. Sergeant gave a playful yip and trotted to the front door. Sam followed more slowly. The latch resisted her at first but finally she had the door open. In his mad dash, he nearly knocked her down. She watched as he ran under a bush and immediately took care of business.
She laughed, “Sorry. You should have said it was urgent.”
“Good morning.”
She let out a shriek and jumped back. Sergeant looked up and then raced, snarling, toward the house and Reece Lawrence. Samantha screamed, “NO. HEEL! HEEL!”
The dog skidded to a stop just inches from Reece’s legs and stood ridged, his nose pointed at Reece and fangs bared. Guttural growls and snarls rolled from deep in his chest and his body quivered from his restraint. One word from her and Reece would be taken down.
To his credit, he didn’t move or flinch. He stood with arms hanging relaxed by his side, looking down at Sergeant. “Well, it isn’t exactly the greeting I was hoping for but I guess it will have to do.”
She clutched her chest and collapsed against the doorjamb, legs shaking. “I wouldn’t have screamed if I had known you were there.”
“I hope not.” He looked up at her. “Are you all right?”
She released the breath she’d been holding and nodded. She snapped her fingers. “Sergeant, release.”
Immediately, the dog backed up and sat down. He looked up at Reece with a dog smile and his tail wagging. Reece laughed. It was a very nice laugh, Sam noted.
“Can I move now?”
“Yes. He would like you to pet him now.”
He looked incredulous but leaned down and extended his hand palm down. Sergeant licked it. Reece scratched him behind his ears.
“Would you like some breakfast?” she asked. “I was just about to start it.”
“No. I was on my way out of the province and wanted to stop by to thank you again for the work. It allowed me to complete my business without the extra expense of renting a room.”
“Where will you go now?”
He frowned at the forest in the distance, took a deep breath and released it before answering. “I don’t know. I’m thinking about going home. I’m getting tired of moving around.” He looked around the yard, at the barn and house. “After being here, in one place and working I realized that I’d like to be working my own place.”
“Come in and I’ll fix you breakfast before you leave.”
“I can’t impose further.”
“If it were an imposition, I wouldn’t have asked.” She stepped back and held the door open.
Sergeant dashed in first and Reece followed, chuckling. “Bet he gets dibs on the biscuits.”
She started the fire and put the coffee pot on. “While that perks, I’m going to get dressed. You and Sergeant can chat.”
As she dressed she wondered how she could tactfully ask him about the trip into the Outland. She brushed her hair and studied her reflection in the mirror. She paused, the brush inches from her crown of her head. Was it even a question she could safely ask?
The scent of perking coffee filled the kitchen when she returned and set about preparing eggs, bacon, and biscuits. Reece found plates and utensils and set the table. For just a moment, Sam hesitated as she lifted the biscuits from the oven and listened to the clinking of the plates and flatware. She had forgotten how much she has missed the companionable sounds of breakfast being prepared, the sound of another person in the room. It was a bittersweet comfort that only widened the hole in her heart.
The handle of the pan grew hot in her potholder and she quickly emptied it onto a plate and set them on the table.
They sat across from one another. Sergeant sat at attention on the floor between them, watching for an easy mark.
“So, do you think you’ll be back this way?”
He looked up from his plate and shook his head. “I don’t know. I don’t think so. I had to change some of my plans and now, well, there won’t be an opportunity to come back.”
“Why not? It isn’t a very big island, after all. Well, as islands go.” She sipped her coffee. “I’ve read of great island nations in the other world. Australia is one. England and Ireland are some others. They sound quite large.”
He looked down, at his plate and began to trace the blue willow pattern with his fork. “Australia is probably not much larger than this island. I suspect there are similar topographical features as well.”
Sam blinked. That was more than she’d read. “How do you know that?”
He continued to trace the plate with his fork. “Oh, I’ve used the libraries a lot. I wanted to be a teacher for awhile but,” he laughed, “I found a more lucrative vocation.”
She didn’t have a response for that. But as she studied his face, she did wonder.
“Reece, do you know Isabel Channing?”
He did look up, a frown creasing his brow. “Who?”
“I have an aunt who lives in the Outland. Her name is Isabel Channing Duran. Do you know the Durans?”
“Hmmm,” He shook his head slowly. “Can’t say I do. Why?”
“No reason. That’s who I was visiting in the Outland.”
“Brave girl to travel in the Outland. There’s been some scary stories filtering out about trouble on the roads. You didn’t have any, did you?”
She searched the blue eyes. How could she know if he was telling the truth? “I don’t think I’m brave.”
She poured herself another cup of coffee and lifted it to her lips, blowing on the surface gently before taking a sip and sat it down. “We were attacked by some militiamen.”
He stared at her. “The Green Men?”
She nodded.
“But their job is to protect travelers. Are you sure it was militiamen? They would be dressed in green.”
Now, she studied the pattern on the tablecloth, tracing it with the handle of her spoon. Her mother had embroidered the violets when Samantha was about 10 years old. She lay the spoon down and looked directly at him. “Oh, I’m sure. One of them attacked us in the wagon and we captured him.”
A deep crease formed between his eyebrows. He stared out the window behind her. “Do you know who he was?”
“They said his name was Coren Yancy.”
A muscle in his jaw twitched and his gaze shifted to his plate. “What did they do to him?”
Samantha got up and began clearing the table. “He’s in the jail, I believe. The Constable said he’d have to sit there until the judge came back through.”
She set water on the stove to boil and put the scraps from breakfast in Sergeant’s bowl. He made quick work of them. Reece sat silent, drinking his coffee and staring out the window. Sam busied herself cleaning up. Once she finished she sat down across from Reece. She hated pretense.
“You know, you came here and I took you on your word. I actually trusted you. It was foolish of me, I admit, being alone out here and far from help. But I seldom do things sensibly. You aren’t who you pretended to be, who you’re still pretending to be. I’m not sure where to go from here. Should I be afraid of you?”
For a moment, he didn’t seem to grasp what she was saying but when he did, his eyes widened in surprise. “I don’t know what you mean.”
“Sure you do. Who are you?”
“Reece Lawrence.”
She shook her head. “What other names do you use in the other provinces?”
“Samantha, my name is Reece Lawrence. I don’t have any other name.”
She sighed. “I’m sorry. I really wanted to believe you.”
“Why can’t you?”
How could she explain what she suspected? She’d already called him a liar and it hadn’t even fazed him. Telling him what she suspected wouldn’t make him confess. And it could get her into trouble. What did she know about him really?
A tall, good looking, dark haired, blue eyed, man who appeared to do a lot of physical labor and enjoyed it. He said he was from another province. That could be proven, although not quickly. He worked at odd jobs and wanted to have his own farm. She looked down at Sergeant, who now lay at Reece’s feet, sleeping. Her dog really liked him, too.
“Samantha?” he prompted. “What’s bothering you about me?”
“Are you smuggling contraband?”
His mouth fell open and his eyes widened. Then, he sat back in his chair. “Am I what?”
No comments:
Post a Comment