Brother and sister turned to face Rider. He threw up his hand in a casual wave and smiled.
“Hope you don’t mind my dropping in unannounced.”
John looked around. “Dogs don’t seem to mind. They haven’t even started barking.”
A nudge against Sam’s thigh drew her attention. Sergeant stood close against her, watching as Rider approached. She frowned. “Give me some room, fella,” she said and gave him a gentle nudge. He didn’t move and leaned heavily against her.
“Samantha,” Rider said, “I’m been trying to catch up with you for days. You’re supposed to be going with me to the Harvest Festival next week. What with all that has happened I figured you’d forgotten.”
“Oh,” she covered her mouth with her hand. “I did forget! I’m sorry, Rider.”
He grinned, the same grin that had always made her weak in the knees and warmed her all over. It a shock to realize that today, she didn’t feel that. This was Rider, she reasoned. The boy she’d grown up with, played chase with, and mooned over for years.
“No harm done. I was going into the bank as you left town. I figured you were headed here so when I got finished there I followed.”
“Be a shame if she’d gone somewhere else,” John said as he got up from his seat and gathered his cleaning supplies and put them in the supply closet next to his desk. He was a very tidy man where his kennel was concerned. Lillian had often said she wished it carried over into the house. He had shrugged and said that was her province. “She could have ridden on to Mark’s place.”
“Well,” Rider said, “I figured I risk it. I checked on Lily before I came down. Seems she is dong really well.”
John nodded. “She is. Look if you two will excuse me, I’ve got to get back to work. I’ve got a couple of dogs to work with before dark.”
“Sure, John,” Rider answered. “Don’t mind us.” He turned to Samantha, “Walk me back to the house, will you?”
She nodded. “See you later, John,” She called. “Come on, Sergeant.”
Rider and Sam left the kennel. Sergeant walked between them. Sam shook her head. He was acting very strange. “I should have left you in the kennel for a bit. Maybe you just need a vacation.”
“I beg your pardon?” Rider said.
She laughed. “I mean the dog. John thinks he needs a companion. I think he needs a vacation.”
“Companion?”
“A mate. He thinks I should consider getting Sergeant a mate or a playmate. I think he’s fine just as he is.”
Rider walked in silence for several minutes. Finally, as they stepped into the back yard of the house he said, “Maybe John is right. After all, Sergeant isn’t getting any younger. He’s, what, three, four years old?”
“He’s three. But it doesn’t mean I need another dog to care for. If John wants to breed him he can but the mate and pups stay here.”
“Do you think maybe Sergeant isn’t the one who needs a companion?”
Sam missed a step and nearly tripped. Rider clutched her arm and prevented her fall. She managed to recover her footing and her wits. “Why Rider, are you looking for a dog? I’m sure John could fix you right up.”
They had reached the corner of the house and she saw Lily sitting on the porch steps, her small chin propped on one fist. The injured arm was cradled across her thighs.
“Aunt Sam, can I go home with you this afternoon?”
“Oh, Lily, I don’t think that’s a good idea right now. You have to take extra care of that arm and your mama and daddy are the best ones to have around for that.”
Lily gave a heavy sigh. “That’s what Mama said. I don’t like it much, Aunt Sam.”
Sam smiled and she heard Rider chuckle softly. “Well, I promise as soon as you are well, you can come stay a whole weekend at my house. We’ll go swimming and fishing and riding.”
Brilliant blue eyes looked up at her and a radiant smile lit up the afternoon. “That’s great. I’m going tell Mama right now!” She stood up and ran into the house, slamming the screen door behind her.
“Sam?”
She looked over her shoulder at him.
“You understood what I was saying to you.”
“About needing a dog?”
“Look, we’ve know each other most of our lives. We’ve played together, gone to school together, taken walks, rides, and picnics together. We’ve had a few dates. You know how I feel about you. I mean, you should. I’d like for us to take things a step further.”
Did she know how he felt about her? She thought about it. They’d been friends for a long time, yes, but she wasn’t sure beyond that.
“Rider, you’re an agent for the Council, aren’t you?”
“Well,” he said, his brows drawn in confusion, “yes, I am.”
“Would that give you access to Council historical records?”
The frown deepened. “I suppose I could, if need be.”
“If I wanted to look at some of those records, could I do so?”
“Anyone has a right to review Council records if they put a request before the Council.”
“Do you have to make a formal request?”
He didn’t answer but asked a question of his own. “Why are you asking me these questions?”
She looked away, across the yard to the field across the road. It has been left fallow this year. “I’d like to do some family research.”
His brows went up and his eyes widened. “In council records?”
She didn’t know why she felt annoyed. She squelched it. “Yes.”
“What are you looking for?”
“I told you, I’m doing research on my family history.”
“I don’t remember any of your family being on the council.”
She frowned at him. “You don’t have to be on the council to be in the records. They are a very accurate historical record of the island and people on the island.”
“Well, usually if it involved issues the Council dealt with directly. I never heard of anything your family was involved in that would do that.”
“Rider, my family is one of the oldest families on this island. We’ve seen more ships come through the mist than virtually any other family. One of my ancestors was one of the original council members and helped set up the government of this island. I’d say they would be mentioned more than once in the records. They’ve owned land here since before there were records. All land titles are recorded in the Council records as are marriages, deaths, and births. Why would you think that anyone who lived on the island wouldn’t be mentioned in the records?”
“Well, I just didn’t think about it. I haven’t really studied the Council records. Never had a reason to and never asked about them. You already seem to know what’s there.”
“I just want to get a few details clear for my research.”
He walked to where he had tied his horse and loosed the reins, gathering them in his hands. She watched the muscles in his thighs flex as he swung himself lightly into the saddle. “I’ll see what I can find out. I think you just have to submit a written request to see the records.”
“Thank you.”
“You’re not going to discuss that next step, are you?”
She didn’t answer. She didn’t have an answer.
He sighed. “I’m sorry about that, Sam. We’d be good together.”
She watched as he rode away, urging his horse into a trot at the road. Soon he was out of sight and Sam was left wondering why she felt as if she’d just turned a corner onto a dark street.
No comments:
Post a Comment