Sunday, May 14, 2017

Chapter 55

Reece came back around the fire and sat down on the log. She shifted to give him room. He sighed. “Look, it wasn’t to their benefit to support the Outland residents. And it was a prison of sorts. The reasoning behind it was that they couldn’t live with civilized society so they were outcast.”

“That much I did know.”

“Yes, well, the problem is that they didn’t take into account the increasing number of people being sent here. And normal population growth. Where there are men and women, there will be children. Now, there are so many but the conditions are marginally better than before. You have small communities, such as the one you spent the night in, scattered throughout the area but they’re still too few and they’re small. Yet the population of the  Outland is about the same as the largest province.”

Sam gasped and stared at him. “What?”

He nodded. “Yes. Based on what I’ve been able to gather. I don’t think you know it but there is a person for keeping track of the population of the Outland appointed by the Council.  They know how may are here. And yet, they allow conditions to continue to be substandard what it is for the rest of the country.”

Her mind was turning over the information as quickly as he gave it but she felt as if she were drowning in it. “Why is this something I never heard of?”

He shrugged. “You’d have to ask the Council. A better question is, why is it surprising that they resort to smuggling to survive?”

“But it’s illegal. The things that come in are to be used for everyone.”

Reece turned and caught her hands. “Samantha, that’s exactly right. So why is the Outland excluded from the division? Don’t tell me because they’re criminals. If there were in a prison of stone, they’d get meals, medical care, and their families would have real homes, not tents in a bug infested wood.”

She slipped her hands from his and turned to face the fire. “I don’t know.”

He stood up and began to stir the fire, spreading the wood so it would begin to die down. “I have to go. You shouldn’t be here so late. I’ll ride back with you to the meadow. Watch you till you get inside your aunt’s house.”

“Oh,,” she jumped up. “No need. I’ll be fine.”

He turned and with his back to the fire, his face was in shadow. Sam stepped back, suddenly uncomfortable at not seeing his face.

“No, you won’t. It is dangerous any time but the Outland at night is not where you want to be caught out alone.”

As soon as the fire was out, he took his horse and followed her back to the circle where her horse grazed in placid contentment on the thick green grass. He helped her mount up and then road ahead of her along the trail back to the meadow. They paused and Sam saw two lighted windows upstairs and one downstairs in the corner parlor.

“When will you be leaving?” His voice was almost as quiet at the breeze.

She turned to face him. “I don’t know for sure. A day or so.” She studied the house again. “Until I find what I’m looking for.”

“The people of the Outland rely on their help.”

“I have questions, Reece that have nothing to do with your smuggling activities.”

He blinked and looked at his hands clasping the saddle pommel.

“When I was here before, someone attacked me. I don’t understand why. And there was in incident in the clearing. There are things I need to know.”

Several minutes passed as they sat looking at the sea, the house, the stars. An owl hooted and flew over their heads. Reece said, “They know you have the gift.”

She looked at him. “What?”

He gazed at her with worried eyes and his jaw clenched. “They know you have the gift.”

Sam clutched her chest as her heart skipped a beat. For a moment, she wasn’t sure she could breath. After taking several breaths she responded. “What. . . How . . . Who knows?”

His horse danced a few steps and he pulled him up with a short command. “Ho, boy,” then said to Sam, “The Council certainly knows. The Outland . . .leaders know.”

“Reece, that’s,” she shook her head in denial, “that’s impossible. No one knows but my brother and. . .” She turned and stared at the house. “Oh God.”

“Be careful, Samantha.” His hand covered her hand on the pommel and she felt the warmth radiate along her arm. “Be very careful.”

“I’m not a threat to anyone,” she leaned toward him and her voice like a hiss.

Reece pulled his horse back. “Yes. You are.” He touched the brim of his hat. “Go in now, please. I have to leave.”

For a minute she was tempted to stay and watch him leave but a sound from the house startled her and she whirled her mount around and raced across the meadow. Her cousin met her at the porch.

“Who was that you were with, Cousin?” he asked.

“Oh, no one. I just was watching the sea. The whitecaps are beautiful at night.” She held her reins out to  him.

He stared at her a long moment before he took them and he issued a low voiced command as he led the horse away. “Best get up to bed. Breakfast is at six.”


No comments: