Sunday, May 28, 2017

Chapter 58

It was impossible, of course. No one could do that. Sam shifted on the small cot where she rested, inside a small stone room. The door was a heavy iron studded wooden door that, even had she attempted, she’d never in a 100 years be able to break through. So, she lay on the surprisingly comfortable cot and stared up at the dark, stone ceiling. No one could take your breath away like that.

The tiny voice in the back of her head said, “Of course not. No one can know when someone is coming through the mist either. Nor can they see people coming out of a smoky fog through their front door.”

Sam sighed and clamped mental hands over the mouth in her head.

She’d spent an hour yelling for help. No one heard. They had brought her food and water, both obviously from the house. She recognized the plates. At some point, they’d brought her boots and for that, she was grateful. Oh, and they’d made sure she had light. It was a toss up as to whether she was more thankful for the light or the boots.

“OK. You’re caught. Now what?” The room echoed slightly.

“You’re a very stupid girl to go wandering about in strange caves.”

The last had been Alaina’s last statement to her and she hadn’t disagreed with her.

“What are you going to do with me?” She directed her question to Ian.

Alaina answered. “Well, we can’t let you go.”

Ian raised a hand toward Alaina. “Hush.” He looked at Sam. “As soon as this is over, you can go home. I promise you that. You’ll understand once we’ve explained it to you, Sam, and I know you’ll see reason.”

And keep it to herself? He didn’t say it but it was implicit in the silence that followed.

Alaina had watched her through narrowed eyes, arms crossed over her chest. Her doubt must have been written all over her and she could feel Alaina’s gaze like cold claws raking at her. Despite the woman’s delicate build, Sam was pretty certain that she was no match for Alaina.

It was Alaina who’d  summoned a guard and had her escorted to this cell. Even if she could get out, Sam was not sure she could find her way back. They’d taken so many twist and turns she’d lost count and some of the passages were dimly lit by a single torch.

She jumped up from the cot and began to pace and rake her hands through her hair. She’d give anything for a way to put it up. So what did she know? Smuggling between provinces or to the Outland wasn’t unheard of but was punishable by banishment to the mist if you got caught. It was a given the goods were stolen and therefore, a capital crime. They had to know she couldn’t keep quiet about it or she’d be a participant in the crime.

“Dear God!” The cry reverberated. She stamped her foot and then, the control she’d maintained through the whole ordeal gave way. She stamped both feet and growled in rage. She slammed her fists on the cot, kicked sand across the room, finally, screamed at the ceiling. When the anger subsided, she fell onto the cot and wept into the blankets. They smelled of lavender.

The sound of a door opening woke her and she raised her head, peering about to get her bearings. The brighter light from the doorway outlined a man’s figure. Sam jerked upright, heart pounding.

“Sam?”

She held her breath for a space and sprang from the cot, raced to the door and threw herself into the arms of Reece Lawrence and immediately burst into tears. “Reece.”

His arm circled her and she felt a gentle hand stroke her hair. “Its all right. You’re safe, Sam. I’m going to take you out of here.”

“Oh Reece, I can’t believe you found me.” She stepped back and swiped at her face. She looked up at him. “I don’t know how long I’ve been here but it must have been hours. We have to get out and contact the Provincial Guards. Something it going on but I don’t understand what they’re doing. And Alaina… my God, Reece, she’s so …”

“Shush,” he said, placing a finger to her lips. “We have to get you out of this hole first. Follow me and do exactly what I say. Don’t talk or react.” He took her hand. “You understand me. Not a word, Sam.”

She stared at the firm set of his jaw, the dark gaze and nodded.

Twenty minutes later she once again stood on the platform above the storage cavern. This time there was a bustle of activity going on below. Men were moving crates and barrels around on hand carts toward the tunnel that led to White Beach. She frowned, remembering that dark section with the pit and narrow path. She wouldn’t want to navigate that hauling heavy crates and wheel carts.

The earlier anger flicked at her like a lash and she forgot his injunction to remain silent. “What is going on, Reece?”

He spun on her and shoved her back into the tunnel. “I told you to stay quiet. I meant it. You need to call as little attention to yourself as possible. Some of these men may know you and they won’t like you being here. I have to get you downstairs to one of the supply closets to find something you can put on to cover your clothes and hair. Then I have to walk you out of here. I’ll get you to the beach and hide you but you’re going to be stuck there. I’ve sent a message to your brother to pick you up there.”

Sam could only stare at him in horror as the meaning of his words sank in. He was going to leave her on White Beach? There was no exit except by boat and this cave.

“Why can’t I go back through the caves, to the house?”

The muscles in his jaw clenched and unclenched. “I can’t protect you there. Hiding on the beach until John arrives is safer.”

“Protect me? Reece, we have to go to the Province and report all this.”

He sighed. “You really don’t understand.”

She clenched her jaw and shook her head. “No. Why don’t you explain it again.”

“I don’t have time. I’m leaving as soon as the mist opens, Sam.”

The sensation of a hole opening in her gut was unmistakable. She stared at him, unable to speak or move.

“This is how I make my living. People need the money and supplies we provide. The Outland is made up of people, Sam. They need the supplies we bring and the money we get from selling them outside helps them purchase things we can’t provide.”

“You’re part of this?”

For a moment he just looked out at the movement below. When he looked back at her he nodded. “It is my operation, Sam. I run it.”

No comments: