Reece hurried along the tunnel, nearly dragging her by her arm. She stubbed her toe twice before they reached the cavern with the pit. She stopped abruptly when she entered, surprised by the light that lined the path that ran around the perimeter of the cave.
“What?” he asked.
She stared at the enormous dark hole in the center of the cave. The lighting revealed the entire opening and the inside walls for a foot or so. It was bigger than she expected and much scarier in the light. The path she and Ian had felt their way along seemed far more narrow now than it had that night.
A tug on her elbow drew her from her memories.
“Samantha, we have to move. Any of them could come in any moment. If you’re caught, Alaina won’t hesitate to . . .”
He trailed off and she pulled free. “To what? Kill me? Throw me into that pit and listen as I fall, screaming to my death?” She waited. “What’s wrong, Reece? Is she worse than you’re willing to believe? Because I happen to know she would do just that.”
“I’m so glad to hear that, cousin.”
Alaina’s voice mocked her as she entered the cavern. Sam turned to face her.
“Didn’t you bring your assassins?”
She looked Sam up and down through narrowed eyes and her lip curled. “I don’t need help to remove you. Leave, Reece.” She never took her eyes off Sam.
“Alaina . . . I . . .”
The hate filled eyes moved to Reece. In low measured tones she said, “Leave. Now.”
Sam looked from one to the other. Alaina’s face was cold and almost expressionless except for her eyes. Reece also wore an impassive expression but, and here Sam faltered, his eyes held fear. He was terribly afraid of her. She felt the deep frown crease her forehead and quickly tried to smooth it out. Her heart pounded so hard that she was certain it could be detected by looking at her chest.
He took a deep breath and straightened up. “No. I can’t let you do this. She’s your cousin but even more important, we can’t kill people. It isn’t right. This is not how I run things, Alaina.”
Alaina looked at Sam. “He’s in love with you. How charming. He’d even sacrifice his life in an attempt to save you.” The smile could be felt in the bones. “I can see it in his mind. Can you see it, cousin? Does your gift allow you that much power?”
Sam shook her head but didn’t dare speak for fear she’d say the wrong thing. She didn’t have a clue what the right thing was anyway.
“You, my handsome boy, are no longer running this.” She waved her hand to encompass the cave. “I’m taking over as of now. You’ve muddled along, tip-toeing around so you don’t bother the Provincials. Well, except for stealing from them.”
“They didn’t own the things to begin with, Alaina. It all belongs to someone else.”
Alaina laughed and pulled a small pistol from behind her. She pointed it at Reece. “Get out now. I’ll deal with her. You have a boat to catch. You’ll miss the shipment if you don’t leave now.”
Reece looked at Sam. “I’m sorry. I. . .”
She waved him away. “We have nothing more to say to each other. Go.”
Another laugh from Alaina echoed in the cave. “My, my, not the lover boy now, are we.”
He spun on his heel and hurried along the path. Sam watched until he passed behind the tapestry hiding the exit. Turning back to Alaina, she crossed her hands in front of her and waited.
No comments:
Post a Comment