Sunday, July 30, 2017

Chapter 64

Sam clutched her chest as time seemed to stretch to its apex. The tightening in her chest blocked her breath until the sound of Alaina’s voice disappeared. Her own voice was a mere breath. “Oh dear God.”

Staring at the dark maw, she waited for time to reel back and Alaina return and continue her ranting, threatening.  When it didn’t happen, she extended her hand to Reece in silence, pleading for him to do something. “Reece?”

Reece caught her hand and squatted next to her. “Sam, it’s all right. It isn’t your fault. She fell.”

Sam shook her head. Her mind struggled to wrap itself around what her eyes saw and make sense of it. She looked back at the pit. “No. No. Something happened, Reece. What happened?”

With gentle hands, he lifted her to her feet and dusted off her clothes. “Let me check your head, Sam. You’re bleeding.” He cautiously examined the back of her head. “We have to get you back to the house. I think you’re going to need stitches.”

“She … she was going to kill me.”  She touched her head and looked at her hand. Blood. There was blood on her hand. “Oh God. Reece, I killed her.”

“Hush.” He pulled her into his arms. “You did no such thing. She fell. She would have killed you.”
The sound of voices from the tunnel to the storage room echoed. Ian and two men stepped into the room. One look and Ian rushed to them.

“Samantha! What happened to you?” He glared at Reece. “What did you do to her?”

Reece tightened his hold on Sam. “Nothing. You sister did this.”

Sam looked up at Ian. “I killed her, Ian. Oh, God, I killed her.”

Shock and followed by horror registered on Ian’s face, and he stared first at Sam and then Reece. “What is she talking about?”

He nodded toward the pit. “She fell into that. She was trying to kill Sam. She fell in.”

“I didn’t mean to, Ian.” Sam started to cry. She held up her bloody hand. “I didn’t mean to.” The sobs intensified and she began to shake all over.

Reece scooped her up into his arms. “She’s going into shock, Ian. We have to get her back to the house.”

Ian turned to the two men with him and issued instructions. Then, he motioned to Reece and turned back to the tunnel and the storage area. They made the trip back to the house in silence.

In the hallway, Isabelle met them as she exited the dining room. At the sight of Reece holding Sam, she dropped the cups she held and they shattered at her feet.

“Mother, you should send for Lucius.” At her hesitation, he added sharply, “Quickly, Mother.”

“I’ll send the maid up to help you get her settled.”

“Hot water, towels, bandages, please,” Reece said.

She nodded and hurried away.

Sam said, “Reece, we have to go back. We have to help her.”

“Sam, you’re injured. We have to take care of that right away. You’re bleeding.”

“I’m bleeding?”

They reached the bedroom and he sat her on the edge of the bed. The maid rushed in behind them.
“Sir, the towels. We’ll have hot water soon.”

Ian took the towels. “Thanks, Mary. Would you see if you can find something to put on her.” He sat down next to Sam and began to towel the blood from her hair. “There’s blood all over her clothing.”
Isabella entered carrying a basin of steaming water. She stopped mid-way and stared at the bloody towel in Ian’s hand. “Oh dear heavens, what happened to her?”

Ian clenched his jaw and looked at Reece a moment before continuing his ministrations. “I’m not sure but I think Alaina did this.”

Isabella gasped.  “Where is she?”

Again, Ian glanced up at Reece but he remained silent.

Sam stared at the buttons on Reece’s shirt. “She was so angry.” Her voice was barely above a whisper. “She hated me. She . . .” She stopped and put her hand to her head. “Reece, my head hurts.
Reece caught her hand. “Don’t do that, Sam. We’ll take care of it.”

“I’ve sent for Lucius. He will be here soon if he’s available.”

“I don’t understand.” She looked at Ian, tears streaming down her face. “I don’t understand what happened. She just flew into the pit. I don’t understand.”

Ian wiped tears with his hand. “Stop, Sam. Right now we just need to take care of your injuries. We’ll talk about it later.”

The maid spread a large blanket on the bed and Ian guided Sam down onto the bed, placing a towel beneath her head. Isabella and the maid took over the effort to clean off the blood and get her out of the bloody clothes.

Sam lay staring at the vines on the ceiling. “I don’t feel well,” she said, and as she watched, a black mist swirled in and everything disappeared.

No comments: