Sunday, August 27, 2017

Chapter 67

A month after her accident, Sam stood near the cliffs overlooking the sea. The mist had already gathered, obscuring the horizon. Someone was coming. She’d felt it the night before and awakened with the sense of it this morning. Although she’s lived with the feelings as long as she could remember, this time the feeling unnerved her and she had no idea why.

 The wind off the sea tugged at her hair and she brushed it from her face. Although it was coming back, it was not enough to completely hide the long scar on the back of her head. She still had no memory of the accident. Some memories of the days before had begun to surface but they were sketchy and out of sequence. They made no sense until a missing piece appeared. Other memories were completely seemed disconnected from everything.

She sighed, turned, and headed back toward the house, Sargent bumping against her legs as she walked. He stuck more closely to her since the accident. That made no sense either but perhaps what had happened to her had frightened him because he’d been there when it happened.

“Sam.”

Sargent growled as she whirled around. Reece stood near the edge of the cliff. Her breath caught in her throat and then she ran toward him. He met her halfway and caught her up in his arms.

She had no idea why she was crying and she buried her face in his shoulder. “Oh Reece, Reece! Where have you been!”

He set her down, wiped the tears from her cheeks, and kissed her forehead. “Oh, God, Samantha, I wanted to come but I couldn’t waltz into your room, particularly when outsiders were stopping by. Ian kept me posted on your condition.”

For several minutes she stared up at him.  “There is so much I can’t remember, Reece.” With a shake of her head, she tore her gaze away and rubbed her forehead. “I ... .feel as if I should remember something important.”

He draped his arm around her shoulders and together they started back to the house. Sargent walked ahead now but stopped frequently to look back and wait for them.

“There is no reason to worry about it, Sam. Eventually, anything that’s important will come back. Everything else, well, perhaps it is better not to remember.”

A familiar knot took shape in her chest. That wasn’t right. She knew it. She knew something important was hidden beneath the mist that clouded her mind. If she could push that mist back, she might be able to sleep at night without dreaming - horrible dreams that made no sense and kept her tossing and turning until the small hours of the morning.

“Reece,” she caught his hand and look up at him. She hated the pleading sound but knew that it was exactly what she was doing. “Please, can’t you help me remember what happened? I only have bits and pieces and they make no sense to me.”

Reece avoided her gaze, staring ahead. “Mind the stump, Sam.”

She halted and pulled free of his hold, forcing him to turn and look at her. “I need to remember. Something is wrong.”

“You need to let it come on its on, Sam.”

She stared at him, frustration tightening in her chest. Men could be so stupid. You have to be so patient with them. It is easier to train a dog than a man. “You know what happened, Reece. You were there.”

His eyes widened as the shock of what she said hit home. “I don’t understand.”

“You were with me in the cave. We were in a tunnel, just outside the storeroom. And we were in a small room somewhere, rock walls. So another cave. It doesn’t make sense.” She paused and stared at him. “Alaina was in that tunnel, too. I hear her voice. Only... .she’s not here and no one will tell me what happened.”

Reece ran his hands through his dark hair and shook his head. “So, you’re getting memories back. That’s what you wanted, Sam. That’s great.”

The worried look in his eyes and the tightened jaw muscles belied his words. For some reason, it wasn’t great. Why? She wanted to smack him but it would solve nothing. She walked past him and continued to the house. Inside she told the butler she was going to lie down until supper. Reece watched her from the bottom of the stairs.

When she woke the sun had set and she jerked upright, confused. Had she slept through supper? Why hadn’t they called her? She got up and after making adjustments to her clothing and hair, she went downstairs. As she descended, she heard voices from the front parlor.

“… remembering the night of the accident,” Ian said.

“Only bits and pieces at the moment.” Aunt Isabelle said.

Realizing they were talking about her, Sam paused at the bottom of the stairs, out of sight from the parlor.

Someone cleared their throat. “Well, her recovery has been remarkable. I suspect she’ll recover most of her memory. There may be some sketchy areas surrounding the accident but she’s having dreams of it so I suspect that will also clear up.”

“Lucius, are you certain?” Aunt Isabelle’s voice sounded strained.

“Yes. She wants to remember.” He cleared his throat again. “Isabelle, it isn’t good to hide something like this.”

“You want us to tell her?”

Sam’s hand went to her throat. She’s never expected to hear John’s voice. When had he arrived?
There was a deep sigh from someone and a long silence followed.

“I think, as her doctor, you should let her recover to the extent she is able. After all, it wasn’t her fault.”

“Well, you weren’t there.”

She frowned. Ian’s voice sounded sharp-edged and tight. Why?

“My sister is not a murderer, Ian.”

“I didn’t say she was but you heard Reece and I know what I saw when I came in and what I heard.”

“What you both describe is impossible,” Lucius said. “There is no way that could have happened.”

The room fell so silent Sam was afraid they’d hear her heart pounding. What happened?

“But it did happen,” Reece said, his voice so soft she almost didn’t hear it. “And we have to figure out how to tell her.”

No comments: